Hello everybody, welcome to our recipe site, looking for the perfect Hoppin Johns recipe? look no further! We provide you only the best Hoppin Johns recipe here. We also have wide variety of recipes to try.
Before you jump to Hoppin Johns recipe, you may want to read this short interesting healthy tips about Healthy Eating Can Be An Easy Thing To Follow.
Making the decision to eat healthily offers great benefits and is becoming a more popular way of living. There are a lot of health conditions associated with a poor diet and there is a cost to the overall economy as people suffer from conditions such as heart disease and hypertension. Wherever you look, people are encouraging you to live a healthier lifestyle but then again, you are also being encouraged to rely on convenience foods that can affect your health in a damaging way. It is likely that lots of people feel it will take so much effort to eat a healthy diet or that they have to make a large scale change to the way they live. It is possible, however, to make several simple changes that can start to make a difference to our daily eating habits.
These better food options can be applied to other foods such as your cooking oils. Olive oil has monounsaturated fat which can help to fight bad cholesterol. It is also a great source of Vitamin E which has many benefits and is also terrific for your skin. It could be that you already think that you consume fruit and leafy greens but it can be worthwhile considering how fresh these are depending on where you get these. Organic foods are an excellent alternative and will reduce any possible exposure to harmful pesticides. Searching for a local supplier of fresh produce will give you the choice of eating foods that still contain virtually all of the nutrients which are oftentimes lost when produce has been kept in storage before selling it.
To sum up, it is not hard to begin to make healthy eating a regular part of your daily lifestyle.
We hope you got benefit from reading it, now let’s go back to hoppin johns recipe. To cook hoppin johns you only need 13 ingredients and 7 steps. Here is how you do it.
The ingredients needed to make Hoppin Johns:
- Use 1 lb of black eyed peas, dry.
- Use 2 Tbsp of olive oil.
- Provide 1/2 of medium yellow onion, chopped.
- Get 3 of celery stalks, chopped.
- Get 2 cloves of garlic, minced.
- Prepare 2 of bay leaves.
- Use 1 tsp of chili powder.
- Provide 1 tsp of fresh thyme leaves, or 1/2 tsp dried thyme leaves.
- You need 8 cups of low-sodium chicken broth.
- Get 1 of large smoked ham hock.
- You need to taste of kosher salt and black pepper,.
- Take 3 cups of white rice, steamed.
- You need of green onion, chopped, for garnish.
Instructions to make Hoppin Johns:
- Pour the black eyed peas onto a rimmed baking sheet and shake to distribute them into a single layer. Search through and discard any bad peas or stones. Transfer to a strainer, rinse with cool water and set aside..
- Place a large soup pot over medium heat and warm the olive oil until shimmering. Then add the onion and celery and cook for about 3 minutes until the onions and celery soften a bit..
- Next,add garlic and stir in the bay leaves, chili powder and thyme leaves and allow the spices to toast for about 1 minute..
- Pour in the chicken broth then add the ham hock and give it a stir. Bring it to a boil, then reduce heat to low. Allow stock to simmer for 30 minutes..
- After simmering, stir in the black eyed peas and return to a boil, then reduce heat again to low and simmer, stirring frequently, for about 1–1 ½ hours or until the black eyed peas are creamy and tender. Once the peas are tender, remove the ham hock from the pot and separate the meat from the bone. Cut away the fat and gristle, chop the meat and add back to the pot..
- Test the soup and season to taste with salt and fresh cracked pepper..
- Serve over steamed white rice and garnish with chopped green onions. Enjoy!.
If you find this Hoppin Johns recipe valuable please share it to your close friends or family, thank you and good luck.